Electronic books, sometimes referred to as e-books, are just digital versions of a book. These digital books can be downloaded instantly once you’ve purchased them. You can save them directly on your computer, and in many cases you can even print them out if you want.
Once you’ve purchased them, they are yours. It’s no different than if you went to your local bookstore and bought the newest hardcover mystery you’ve been waiting for, either way you would own it.
The advantage of getting your books in digital format are many, here are a few:
1. You can get your books immediately right from your computer. You don’t have to drive to your local bookstore, try to find a place to park, and wait in line.
2. You don’t have to pay for shipping. It’s all done in a matter of seconds right online.
3. Ebooks are great for anyone who does a lot of traveling or just likes to read when they are away from home. Since many electronic reader devices allow you to store upwards of 200 different books, you can take a virtual library with you wherever you go.
Just think how many books you would have to pack if you were going on an extended trip. How much room would you need to devote just to your books? A lot! With digital books loaded on a digital reader you can have hundreds of books loaded on something slightly smaller than the size of a piece of paper.
4. Ebooks are less expensive than paper backs or hardcover books. Since the publisher doesn’t have to pay to have the book printed, it costs them less. They will pass that savings on to you.
5. There are now electronic reading devices you can purchase so you can read your ebook anywhere. These readers are much more compact and portable than even the smallest laptop, yet they allow you to easily adjust the font size.
They are also equipped with a special style screen that makes it look as though you are reading right off of a piece of paper.
If you want to get an electronic reader you have many different models to choose from. Most will run between $250 and $300.
With some portable readers you will be able to access online bookstores, where you can purchase your book, download it, and be reading it in just a few minutes. All right from your electronic reader.
Many people, me included, love a room full of colorful books and I will never want to do completely away with them, but for some purposes having an ebook just makes sense.
If I’m going to the beach for the day or on a long trip, where it just wouldn’t make sense to have to pack dozens of books, I find that reading electronic books is so much more convienant.
If you want to take advantage of this great new technology just head on over to one of the online book retailers and browse through their amazing selection of ebooks. You’ll find that this is a nice compliment to your ‘real’ books.